Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Page 5 - Buckled and Zippered Coat

This page started out with just a zipper and buckle on the page by itself like I saw on Little Hands Big Work. However, I decided to jazz it up a little more. I originally wanted to have a zippered jacket above pants with the buckle. However, with the buckle and ribbon that I have, it made it look like a little girls outfit. If I was making this for a little girl, it would be great, but since this is for my little boy, I didn’t want that. I finally chose to put both the zipper and the buckle on the jacket.
It took me a long time to figure out how to create the jacket and then add the zipper too. So this is what I did. I created the jacket whole out of a piece of felt, made sure the jacket was symmetrical, and fit on my page. I made sure to keep in mind that the zipper would add some width to the jacket. I split the jacket down the middle and then sewed the zipper to both sides.
For the buckle, I put a piece of ribbon through both sides of the buckle. I sewed each side of the ribbon closed as close to the buckles as I could to keep them in place. I pinned the jacket and the buckle (with the ribbon bent around to the inside of the jacket) in place then sewed it to the page. I forward and back stitched the buckle to make sure it wouldn’t come off when tugged. I sewed it all down except for the zipper side. This created a little pocket for Ayven to put something in it if he chooses.
I was very pleased with the way this page turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment