Friday, November 23, 2012

Front and Back Cover and Binding

I had planned to get a yard or two of felt for the inside of the fleece book cover. However, the lady in the craft section at Walmart unwillingly parted with some advice on the filler. She gave me 2 yards of something that is stiffer and more durable than felt as a filler. Unfortunately, I do not know the name of it, for she did not give it. And as she was oh so kind and generous thus far (going above and beyond her station in the craft department in Walmart) [please notice this as sarcasm], I did not think it wise to ask for anything further. It did turn out to work very well.
I first measured the fleece to be twice as wide as the book and a little longer in height. This way the front and back cover could be one piece to protect the pages inside. I sewed the fleece to the filler on all sides with the filler side by side. Then I folded the fleece over onto itself to create the cover 2 filler thick. Then I sewed the three sides that needed to be bound together to make it one piece. I measured for two sets of grommets to make the binding. I ended up needing bigger grommets for the cover than I needed for the inside pages. I then cut three pieces of elastic, and sewed a loop into both ends and threaded it through the book. I started at the middle page, went through to the back of the book, and then back into the first half of the book. This should tighten the elastic when the book is closed, but it should be relaxed when the book is open. I then threaded the loops through colored key rings. This will allow me to take the book apart when needed, but it won't come apart when Ayven is looking through it.
As is turns out, Ayven has found the rings on elastic great fun. It is an activity unplanned. Finally, I put two buckles (one at the top and one at the bottom) to keep the book closed.
I absolutely had a blast making this book. It was hard work. Especially for someone who has never actually used a sewing machine (except for that one time in home ec in 8th grade). But Ayven loves playing with the book, and it makes it all worthwhile. I believe I will be trying some more things with the sewing machine as well as one craft I saw with a glue gun here. I am very excited to begin something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment